Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Book of Mormon 2020 - Mosiah 1-3


I first wrote about Mosiah 1 to 3 in 2016. If you would like to read this post, check out: https://gospeldoctrine2016.blogspot.com/2016/05/lesson-15-eternally-indebted-to-your.html
King Benjamin painting (Winborg)
King Benjamin was a great leader. He exemplified the caring and hard-working leader. He reminds me a lot of our current prophet, President Russell M. Nelson. All his life President Nelson has worked hard and cared for people. He was a brilliant heart surgeon and relied on the Lord to help him in his sacred and temporal responsibilities. I love reading about President Nelson. Check out this article on our prophet, Getting to Know the New Mormon President: Russell M. Nelson (Thorn, 2018, Jan. 17). From the time he was set apart as president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to October 2019, President Nelson travelled more than 90,000 miles to 28 countries and territories and met with over 100 world and religious leaders. That is quite remarkable for a man in his nineties!
President Nelson in his career as a heart surgeon
My father

Great temporal leaders display the same qualities of hard work, caring, and service, as did King Benjamin. Although my father did not lead a country or a company, he was still a good temporal leader. As a mine captain in the copper mines, Copperbelt, Central Africa, my father broke every production record with his group of miners. Many of his production records have remained unbroken. There is a clear reason why this happened. At the time, all the mine captains were European and the miners were from one of the many African ethnic groups. When a mine captain set a record, he received a large bonus in his pay. My father was the only mine captain to take that bonus and split it between his group of miners. My father did this because he believed it was the only fair way to operate. His miners were provided with the incentive they needed. He earned their respect and trust.


We are fortunate in New Zealand to have Jacinda Ardern at the head of our government. She is not active in the church but was raised as a member by goodly parents. Her father Ross and his twin brother Ian were respected senior students when I attended the Church College of NZ in 1970. Jacinda demonstrates the qualities of a good leader in so many ways. During the mass shooting in Christchurch, she inspired so many people with her empathy, concern, and swift action. She was decisive and just. She touched the Muslim world with her approach to the debacle in Christchurch. The Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in Dubai, was lit up with her image following the mosque attacks. Since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic she has, once again, been a leader whom the whole world can respect. For two days NZ has now had no further cases of Covid-19 because she acted quickly and kept a whole nation working together. One of her actions was to take a 20 per cent cut in salary in solidarity with those affected by the coronavirus outbreak.


Jacinda Ardern, PM on NZ after the mosque shootings in Christchurch



In Mosiah 2:14, it states, “And even I, myself, have labored with mine own hands that I might serve you, and that ye should not be laden with taxes, and that there should nothing come upon you which was grievous to be borne”. This gives us a very clear picture of his qualities as a temporal as well as a spiritual leader. He spoke to his people about service. One of the most famous scriptures from this week’s reading comes from Mosiah 2:17. It states, “And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.” Service is a key to real happiness. You do not need drugs to feel ‘high’. All you need is to serve with love and the feeling you get is indescribably wonderful. My dream is to not have to worry about earning money. Money is a necessity for survival. But, if I had a wish, it would be to work in service and to work for the church, and not to have to rely on receiving a salary. I enjoy working. The opportunity to work for others has been taken away from me. I used to give more than 100% to my students. I worked and got the job done even if it was needed outside of the hours for which I was paid. I loved my work, I also worked hard to gain more and more qualifications so that I could give my students the best possible opportunities. Yet, after 20 years of dedication, I was made redundant. I cannot adequately express how much I miss my students. The selection process was not followed when I was made redundant. I was targeted from Day 1 and I knew I would be the one to go. I want to work. I never mind hard work. I will serve and help and do whatever is needed. I just need someone who wants me to work. I love helping people. I just pray I will be given another opportunity to work and help and serve. The following video from Knowhy, Book of Mormon Central, tells us about wisdom and service.



I re-read Mosiah 2:36 a number of times. It states, “…if ye should transgress and go contrary to that which has been spoken, that ye do withdraw yourselves from the Spirit of the Lord, that it may have no place in you to guide you in wisdom’s paths”. This is a remarkable thought. When we choose to do the wrong thing, the Spirit is not removed from us. We are the ones who move away from the Spirit, we withdraw ourselves from the Spirit. The key to retaining the Spirit is our own free choice and choosing to keep the Spirit close. This makes me think about the counsel in the scriptures to ‘Stand in Holy Places’. Where we go is a matter of choice. We can choose to lie in bed or take the early bus to the temple. We choose to stay home and have Family Home Evening or go out to the pub or club to ‘go along’ with our friends and what they want to do. This is our movement towards the Spirit or away from the Spirit.


Brother John Bytheway, in a Podcast on Mosiah 1 to 3, pointed out an interesting fact. P.152 of the printed Book of Mormon (Mosiah 3:6-13) has the most footnotes of any page in the entire book of scriptures (together with 2 Nephi 9). This is a clear indication of the doctrinal importance of these scriptures. There is so much value in the words of King Benjamin. 

Mosiah 3:19, is another very famous and often quoted scripture. It reads, “For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.” The idea that the natural man ‘yields’ to the enticings of Satan’s temptations rather than ‘yields’ to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, once again centres on free choice. We choose one or the other. This verse tells us how to ‘yield’ to the Spirit. The answer is to become like a child. Anyone who has held a new-born baby or listened to a child’s first prayer, can understand the purity of the spirit so recently in the presence of Heavenly Father. We should all strive to become like a little child and choose to ‘yield’ to the Spirit and be obedient in all things.


I spent time pondering the counsel given by King Benjamin, but I was also quite curious about the actual arrangement of the people listening to King Benjamin. My first thought was, why didn’t they just stand together instead of worrying about being in their tents? It would have been easier to hear Kind Benjamin if people had been physically close. I found the reason for this on Knowhy: Book of Mormon Central and in Brother Bytheway’s podcast. King Benjamin’s arrangement of the people was similar to the ancient Feast of Tabernacles. At this feast, the ancient Israelites were commanded to build ceremonial tents or temporary shelters. This was to help them remember how God had repeatedly delivered them from affliction and, perhaps, to remind them of Lehi and his family who dwelt in tents when they were travelling to the Promised Land.


Elder Ronald Rasband

In a very powerful talk (April, 2006 General Conference), Our Rising Generation, Elder Ronald A. Rasband referred to the imagery in Mosiah as people listened to King Benjamin. Each tent had a door open to the temple, so that people could hear the words of King Benjamin. Elder Rasband asked some important questions: "…are the doors of our homes pitched towards the temples we so love? Do we attend as often as we can, showing our children through our example the importance of these sacred and special places?” Our youth need more guidance than in any previous period in history. They are special spirits who have been saved for these latter days. We need to be facing towards the temple, towards the gospel, and towards Christ, if we and our families are to survive the temptations in the world today.

NZ Hamilton temple


No comments:

Post a Comment