Sunday, May 1, 2016

Book of Mormon 15 - “Eternally Indebted to Your Heavenly Father”

This week’s lesson focussed on King Benjamin. What a remarkable leader! He served his people by working with his people. In Mosiah 2:14, we read that “I [King Benjamin], myself, have labored with mine own hands that I might serve you, and that ye should not be laden with taxes, and that there should nothing come upon you which was grievous to be born…” I can imagine living under his rule, and hearing his words, and receiving inspiration to be true to the teachings in the scriptures.

In Mosiah 2, King Benjamin uses the word “indebted” repeatedly. He reminds us that we are eternally indebted to the Lord. In ‘The Gospel Study Companion’, presented by S. Michael Wilcox, he makes an analogy of a large plate of delicious gifts (a Christmas plate) and the blessings we receive from the Lord. He tells us that the Lord gives us so many gifts: life, preservation, joy, peace (refer Mosiah 2:20) the air we breathe, agency, movement (refer Mosiah 2:21); and we can add the scriptures, living prophets, the beauties of creation, and so much more. What do we put on our plate that we give back to the Lord? In verses 20 to 23, there are three gifts we can give the Lord: all our thanks and praise, i.e. gratitude, service, by serving our fellowman, and keeping His commandments, i.e. obedience. As we give our plate to the Lord, He gives us another plate with even more gifts. Then we need to give back again: gratitude, service, and obedience, and the cycle goes on.

In Mosiah 2:24 we read, “And ye are still indebted unto him, and are, and will be, forever and ever.” The Lord blesses us in so many ways. I live in a peaceful country, a beautiful land that is clean and green, I have a remarkable family, a good job with amazing students, so much love, and good friends. I have the gospel, I have the scriptures, and I know who I am and where I want to be. I am grateful, and I do give thanks daily for my bounteous blessings.
My beautiful family
I find it easy to love other people because I have always been loved. Part of this love is expressed in service. One of the most famous scriptures from this week’s lesson is Mosiah 2:17: “And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.”

My job is one where I serve on a daily basis. I try to make myself available to my students whenever they need me. I love doing what I can for my family. I adore being able to give a gift that truly comes from the heart.

In the past, I served as a volunteer Lifeline counsellor, at a time in my life when I had major, painful issues in my own life. This service did more for me, than I ever did for those I served. I remember going to a shift feeling lonely and sad. I remember spending four hours on one phone call, persuading a caller not to pull the trigger on a rifle he was holding to his head. Encouraging him to talk about all the things he had to live for made me so aware of how fortunate I was, despite temporary problems.

My mum and I were visiting teaching companions for over a dozen years. We never missed a visit in that time. The opportunity to visit the homes of our sisters always made the month worthwhile. We grew to love the various sisters we visited and developed a stronger bond as mother and daughter.

The gifts of gratitude and service I find easier to offer the Lord. The third one is always a struggle. I try to be obedient but I always fall short. In ‘The Miracle of Forgiveness’ by President Spencer W. Kimball, he speaks about the sins of omission and not just of commission. It is easier to avoid the sins of commission. The sins of omission are the sins I need to work on. My goal in future plates I present to the Lord, is to add greater obedience to my gifts.


In Mosiah 3:19 we read about the natural man. The natural man is an enemy to God, unless he submits his will to the Lord’s as a child submits to his father. The process of becoming a child of Christ and putting off the natural man is beautifully explained in the little video called, ‘Becoming Children of Christ’.


No comments:

Post a Comment