Monday, April 6, 2020

Book of Mormon 2020 - Easter


It is such a special time, that Covid 19 seems almost unreal. I watch the General Conference sessions with my 96-year-old mum, so we take it slowly, never more than one session in a day. But these sessions have been so special. The spirit is tangible, and the messages speak directly to my soul. Now we are two days away from the start of the Easter weekend and our Easter study has been centred on the Atonement of Jesus Christ. It was suggested that we ponder the suffering of the Saviour on our behalf.

Thinking about the Saviour and all He did for me, always brings me to tears. I love the Sacrament hymns as they always remind me of the sacrifice of my Saviour. There are so many wonderful church songs that fill me with warmth and appreciation. In a “catch-up” post on Lesson 47 (you need to scroll down), I included two of my very favourite songs that testify of my Saviour. These are: O, Lord My Redeemer and His Hands. I also love Amazing Grace, which I used in a “catch-up” post on Lesson 42 (once again, scroll down! 😊). With the music, the meaning of the words, and the graphics used, it is a perfect preparation for Easter and a real Easter musical treat!

When I think of the pain our Saviour went through in the Garden of Gethsemane, the dreadful events leading up to the crucifixion, and His slow and painful death on the cross, I feel great love for all that He went through for me. I also experience hope and joy when I think of His glorious resurrection. The following video uses the same graphics as those used in the video of Amazing Grace, continues the story, and brings it to a wonderful conclusion. This is the beautiful Primary song Risen, written by Shawna Edwards.

I cannot watch these videos without feeling love and gratitude to my Saviour and my Redeemer, Jesus Christ. I acknowledge the words of the following two poems. They touch my heart and I know the meaning of the poets, as it is my own.

What Will We Give? By Susan Noyes Anderson
The Saviour in Gethsemane
consumed our sins on bended knee,
took every sorrow, every loss
and broke them on the rough-hewn cross.
Christ sealed His gift in grief and pain,
renewed each heart in sacred rain
of Living Water, lifeblood spilled.
The ransom, paid. The law, fulfilled.
His temples pierced by thorny crown,
he laid His tortured body down.
The sacred flesh, abused and torn,
roused heaven and earth to weep, to mourn.
The tomb received Him as her own;
disciples wavered, left alone,
forgetting promises profound:
The ties of death would be unbound.
For Christ the Lord atoned for all;
no grave could hold Him, nor forestall
the blessings of eternity.
He lived! He lives! to set men free.
A Brother gave Himself in love.
The risen Lord now waits above.
What will we give? May our lives be
reflections of His charity.
∞§∞


I will miss all our family being together this Easter and I know that not all my children share a testimony of the Atonement, but perhaps I can share my spirit with them through conversations and through my love for them. At least we will get to see each other over the digital waves using Zoom. I know that God lives. I know that Jesus Christ lives. I acknowledge His pain, His unwavering obedience to Heavenly Father, His love for His Father, for each one of us, and for me. I know we have a dear prophet leading the Church today. He is such a great man. I know if we listen to his words, we hear the intent of God. I am so grateful to live in these latter days. I pray for strength, I pray for my family, and I am so grateful to have the means to pray for forgiveness through the gift of the Atonement. This Easter will be a perfect time to study, pray, and worship. May all our homes be full of amazement, hope, joy, and love over this coming weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment