Saturday, February 8, 2020

Book of Mormon 2020 - 1 Nephi 1-7

Please check out my initial thoughts on these verses written on 2016. They can be found at:
https://gospeldoctrine2016.blogspot.com/2016/01/i-was-able-to-introduce-two.html

As I mentioned in this post, one of the scriptures that always touches my heart and has great meaning to me personally is 1 Nephi 3:7, which reads: "...I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."

I thought about this scripture when I received the calling to teach the Gospel Doctrine class once again. This was the third time. The first time was in my own ward and I spent four years as the Gospel Doctrine teacher. I enjoyed this period of time, felt I did my best, and always relied on the Spirit to guide me with preparing and teaching my classes. The second time I received a calling on assignment to teach Gospel Doctrine in a ward that was not my own. I taught the Book of Mormon once again. This was the time when I started this blog. I stopped writing the blog posts after I was released. This time, I am back again in my own ward.

My first tendency was to reject the calling. I had only recently started attending my ward again and really did not know the bulk of the members. I also realised the approach to studying the Gospel was more home-centred and that the lessons needed to encourage individual and family study outside of class as the primary source of gospel learning. After the first lesson, I was painfully aware that not everyone was studying the 'Come, Follow Me' material. The brethren and sisters who had been touched by their studying in the two weeks prior to the lesson kept contributing, while others remained silent. I wanted to bring them into the lesson but was not able to get them involved personally in the scriptures, that were designated to be studied at home. I have not found the answer to this yet. How do I motivate the quiet ones to bring their ideas to class and share them? I accepted the calling, I am doing the best I can, and I know the Spirit will help me to find a way to encourage everyone to come to class prepared.

My reluctance to accept the calling was also affected by my negative state of mind through my situation at work. After 20 years of working for the same local polytechnic and devoting my heart and soul to the job, I was made redundant. In my mind I knew had qualifications and experience, but I felt worthless and unappreciated. The words of Nephi were those that prompted me to take on the calling despite my anxiety. Since accepting the calling, day-to-day, temporal matters have been sorting themselves out. I know the Lord blesses those who are obedient.

Nephi is such an amazing man. His unwavering faith and his reliance on the Lord, allowed him to become a leader. He listened to his father, Lehi, a prophet of God, and respected and loved his mother, Sariah. I love watching the new Book of Mormon videos. These can be found on YouTube. The picture below of Sariah and Lehi welcoming Nephi made my heart melt. I have three wonderful sons and I know exactly how Sariah felt to know her boys had returned home safely.

Nephi in the arms of his mother Sariah.

No comments:

Post a Comment