Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Book of Mormon 20 - “My Soul Is Pained No More”

I have been through both despair and hope while reading the scriptures in Lesson 20. The despair because I am critical of my own performance as a mother and hope because the Lord listens to me, answers my prayers, and still loves me. I try to be a good person and, perhaps, this will offset some of my inadequacies.

The scriptures in Mosiah 25 speak about a grand gathering, a “General Conference” of all the people: those who had been in Zarahemla, including the Mulekites who had joined the Nephites; the people of Limhi, who had recently returned from the land of Nephi; and, the people of Alma, who had fled during the reign of King Noah. They were read the records of the people and heard the stories of deliverance through obedience to the Lord. It must have been an emotional roller coaster for those present. In Mosiah 25:7-11 we read about these emotions: wonder at the records; joy because of having being delivered from subjugation; sorrow for those slain by the Lamanites; gratitude for the goodness of God; and, pain at the fallen state of the Lamanites. I know that emotions can be heightened during conference sessions. I have experienced this personally when listening to the general authorities speaking at conference.

In Mosiah 26:1-4 we hear about some of the younger generation, who had been present when King Benjamin addressed his people, who did not believe. In verse 3 it reads: “And now because of their unbelief they could not understand the word of God; and their hearts were hardened.” And, later in verse 4 it gives a reason for this lack of understanding, that they would not call upon the Lord their God. This applies to all people, young and old. Understanding the truths of the gospel requires a willing heart and an open mind. Approaching the Lord in earnest prayer is the key to opening both heart and mind. After five years as a Gospel Doctrine teacher, I testify that prayer can reveal truth and clear up misunderstanding. However, this help is not given automatically. If you are seeking truth, you need to work for it: study, search the scriptures, read counsel from the prophets and apostles, and pray with your whole being.


I love Mosiah 27. We read about Alma the younger and the sons of Mosiah. These were the children of great men. Alma the elder had been given the responsibility of setting up churches throughout Zarahemla, yet his son, Alma the younger, was regarded as one of the most rebellious non-believers and persecutors of the church. Alma the younger and the sons of Mosiah flattered the people and led them into sinful paths, they caused arguments and dissension, and went about secretly to destroy the church. An angel asked Alma the younger why he was persecuting members of the church. The angel stated that the prayers of the people and his father had been heard. The boys were so stunned that they fell to the ground. In verse 16, the angel admonished Alma and said: “Alma, go thy way, and seek to destroy the church no more, that their prayers may be answered, and even if thou wilt of thyself be cast off.” Alma the younger was unable to speak and was so weak he could not stand or use his hands. He was carried before his father. Alma the elder knew this miracle had occurred as an answer to prayer. Together with the priests, he fasted for strength to return to his son. After two days, Alma the younger stood and spoke. He testified of his conversion. In verse 28, he stated, “Nevertheless, after wading through much tribulation, repenting nigh unto death, the Lord in mercy hath seen fit to snatch me out of an everlasting burning, and I am born of God.” From this time, Alma the younger and the sons of Mosiah tried to make amends for the destruction they had previously caused and became staunch missionaries.


The conversion of Alma the younger raises the issue of parents who are members yet have children who go astray. Elder Orson F. Whitney of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (1929) said: “You parents of the wilful and the wayward! Don’t give them up. Don’t cast them off. They are not utterly lost. The Shepherd will find his sheep. They were his before they were yours – long before he entrusted them to your care; and you cannot begin to love them as he loves them. They have but strayed in ignorance from the Path of Right, and God is merciful to ignorance. Only the fullness of knowledge brings the fullness of accountability. Our Heavenly Father is far more merciful, infinitely more charitable, then even the best of his servants, and the Everlasting Gospel is mightier in power to save than our infinite minds can comprehend” (Conference Report, April 1929, p. 110).

Elder Orson F. Whitney
I wish I had found this quote when I first started thinking about the issue of wayward children. I spent a long time reflecting on my own inadequacies. I realise I have not been a faithful servant. I have failed my children in so many ways. I do love them with all my heart. I have always tried to let them know how important the gospel is to me. But, I have agonised over my part in their current problems. For a long time, I have felt hopeless and guilty. What made it worse was thinking about the story in the Old Testament of Eli and his sons.
Eli & his sons by Robert Barrett
Eli was a devoted high priest who served for forty years as a judge in Israel. He had two sons, Hophni and Phineas. They laboured with their father as priests in the tabernacle at Shiloh. The sons acted as mediators between God and His people in their worship and offering of sacrifices. In Samuel 2:12 it says: “Now the sons of Eli were sons of Belial; they knew not the Lord.” Belial refers to worthless or wicked, according to the Bible Dictionary. They were greedy, extorted the best meat from the people, i.e. taking the best for themselves that was meant for the Lord, and committed immoral acts with women gathered at the tabernacle. Eli knew what they were doing and confronted his sons. The sons ignored their father and continued in their evil ways. Eli did nothing to remove his sons from office. When the army of the Israelites went to war against the Philistines, the ark of the covenant was taken onto the battlefield to protect the Israelites. The caretakers of the ark were Eli’s sons. Hophni and Phineas were killed in the ensuing battle. When Eli received word that his sons had been killed and the ark had been lost, he fell, broke his neck, and died.

Eli’s failing was parental negligence. He gave his boys the freedom to commit serious sins and that negatively influenced many people. As parents we should teach and correct our children. I have tried to be Alma the elder in many ways, but I see a lot of Eli in me! I know I have failed in some ways and I will be held accountable. I have not “corrected” my children as often as I should have. Especially as a single parent, I have found this difficult. I am a “wishy-washy” person, a real Charlie Brown. I am soft – my children call me a “marshmallow”! I cry easily and wear my emotions on my sleeve. I find it so hard to “get tough”. I have never been tough in my whole life, and wouldn’t know where to start.

I have tried to set a reasonably good example for my children and I have always, always testified of the truthfulness of the gospel. But, at the same time, I never pushed them to have Family Home Evening when they did not want one. I also never pushed them to attend Seminary. So, by doing this, I have been guilty of parental negligence. My children know I love them. They have safety and security. I am there for them no matter what happens. To see them make the wrong choices is so incredibly painful. Yet I have not helped them to make wiser choices by being stricter on them for the choices they do make.

In his talk, When Our Children Go Astray, by Elder John Carmack (March 1999), we receive some wonderful hints on how to cope. These include:
Elder John Carmack
  • Trust Father in Heaven
  • Respect free agency
  • Refrain from judging others unrighteously
  • Turn to the Saviour and seek the Lord
  • Recognise the Spirit and heed promptings
  • Never give up
  • Take care of yourselves
  • Seek help
  • Try not to live through the achievements of your children
  • Support your prodigal child in wisdom
  • Avoid denial and undue feelings of self-blame
  • Remember the last human freedom
I need to apply some of these to myself. I certainly will never give up. One of my wayward lambs has already turned her life around, married in the temple, and is active and stalwart in the gospel. I do not deny that I will have to account for a degree of parental negligence, but I also know that if I am to hope for the future, I must stop the feelings of self-blame. Satan is able to influence us when we lose hope.

I also found a remarkable talk by Robin Zenger Baker called When a Child Leaves the Church (Ensign, Feb 2016). I have read this several times in the last few weeks and it has really given me strength and guidance. Here are some of Robin’s suggestions:
  • Learn from others who have struggled – Sariah and Lehi and Adam and Eve dealt with wayward children. “…even righteous families may choose to reject gospel principles. We can gain comfort from the stories of struggling families in the scriptures.”
  • Recognise our children are also God’s – We need to focus on the qualities of the child and not allow feelings of guilt and failure to overwhelm us.
  • Focus on success - “We need to celebrate the good qualities of our children and the happy moments we shared. We should embrace the principle that our family members are blessed with agency, however they may use it.”
  • Adjust our expectations – Children must choose for themselves to receive the blessings of the gospel. Their success and happiness is theirs, not ours.
  • Gain insight – Seek solace and perspective in prayer, scripture study, and temple attendance.
  • Continue to show love – There are plenty of ways we can show our family members that we love and value them.
  • Hold on to hope – Family members often return after a period of wandering.
  • Maintain an eternal view – We simply do not know what will happen to our loved ones. “God’s reckoning of time is vastly different from ours.”
Robin Zenger Baker
I hope to become more like Alma the elder and less like Eli. It may be late, but there is always hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment