Monday, June 13, 2016

Book of Mormon 19 - “None Could Deliver Them but the Lord”

The scriptures in Lesson 19, Mosiah 18-24 would make such an exciting movie. There are plots, political intrigue, religious upheavals, assassinations, battles, peoples in bondage, great escapes, and so much more. It is amazing how much took place in just one short reading! Some highlights for me included the way Alma had to flee for his life and then converted hundreds of people and baptised these converts in the Waters of Mormon. Noah’s people were not unified and Gideon was about to kill Noah when the army of the Lamanites was seen approaching the city. Noah commanded his people to flee from the Lamanites. When the Lamanites closed in, he suggested that the men flee and leave the women and children to the Lamanites. Some did as he suggested but others stayed and were enslaved by the Lamanites. Those who agreed eventually burned Noah to death. Limhi succeeded his father Noah as king. The Lamanites were angered when they believed Limhi’s people had abducted the daughters of the Lamanites. These daughters had, in fact, been abducted by the priests of Noah, who were too ashamed to face the people of Limhi and lived in the wilderness away from their wives and children. Limhi and his people fought the Lamanites three times and were defeated. At the same time, a group of people under the leadership of Ammon, travelled from Zarahemla and found the people of Limhi. As these people turned to the Lord, they were able to escape from bondage when the Lamanite guards were in a drunken stupor. Lamanites, sent out to search for the people of Limhi, found Alma and his people at Helam. They had already found the priests of Noah and taken possession of the land of Amulon. The priests’ new wives, the daughters of the Lamanites, pleaded for their husbands to be spared. Alma and his people showed the Lamanites the way to Nephi but the Lamanites did not give them the promised rewards, their lives and their liberty. Amulon was made king of his people who were in the land of Helam. He gained the favour of the Lamanite King Laman and persecuted Alma and his people. Alma’s people were able to escape when the Lord caused the Lamanite guards to fall into a deep sleep. They fled into the wilderness and travelled to Zarahemla. What an incredibly epic story!

Waters of Mormon by Walter Rane


But, there is far more to these scriptures than an epic adventure. There is gospel truth and lessons to be learned. There were three lessons here for me: firstly, even one soul is worth a great missionary effort; secondly, the Lord’s people must be united in building up the kingdom; and, thirdly, miracles are possible with the Lord on your side and this only comes with obedience.



The importance of standing up for the truth, of being a missionary and sharing what we have with others, is so important. In a week, my daughter’s best friend leaves for the mission field, so the importance of missionary effort is constantly on my mind. Abinadi may not have recognised how successful he had been in Noah’s court, but Alma believed. Alma baptised hundreds of people. I recall two amazing accounts of missionaries who felt they had not succeeded because they only baptised a single convert. 

The very first missionary called after the restoration was Joseph Smith’s brother, Samuel Smith. A short animated account of his mission can be found at lds.org. Although Samuel returned from his mission discouraged and disappointed, future church leaders Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball came in contact with copies of the Book of Mormon left by Samuel and were later baptised. 

President Gordon B. Hinckley recalled a story told to him by the Southern States Missionary President Charles A. Callis. President Callis interviewed a missionary just prior to his release. The missionary stated, “I haven’t had any results from my work. I have wasted my time and my father’s money. It’s been a waste of time.” This missionary had baptised only one convert in his two-year mission. This was a 12-year-old boy in the back hollows of Tennessee. Brother Callis decided to find out what had happened to that single convert. The next time he was in the area, he found the boy now wore shoes and a shirt and was the clerk of a little branch Sunday School. Brother Callis continued to follow his progress. He became the Sunday School Superintendent and eventually the Branch President. He married and established his own successful farm. He then moved his family to Idaho and bought a larger farm where his family prospered. His children grew and went on missions. They returned home, had children of their own who also went on missions. Brother Callis stated, “I’ve just spent a week up in Idaho looking up every member of that family that I could find and talking to them about their missionary service. I discovered that, as the result of the baptism of that one little boy in the back hollows of Tennessee by a missionary who thought he had failed, more than 1,100 people have come into the Church.” (From the Teachings of President Gordon B. Hinckley, p. 360-361).

When I was a teenager I was an enthusiastic missionary. I loved telling people about the gospel. At a single Open House in Auckland 13th Ward, I was responsible for 24 investigators! I used to send out letters and Books of Mormon. On one occasion I was prompted to write to a Swiss “penfriend” who never returned my letters. This was not something I would usually do! I wrote many letters and then sent my testimony in a Book of Mormon. Although I never received a letter at that stage, I did hear from this penfriend many years later, when she first attended the temple in Switzerland. That was the most exciting experience! Over the years, my missionary zeal has waned. Now I am embarrassingly anti-social, yet I still speak up about the church when discussion with my students and work colleagues turns to religion. I must work out how to renew the zeal I felt so strongly in my youth!

The second lesson I learned this week was about the importance of those who have been baptised to be united. In Mosiah 18:21, we read: “And he commanded them that there should be no contention one with another, but that they should look forward with one eye, having one faith and one baptism, having their hearts knit together in unity and in love one towards another.” A ward is only as strong as the members. In my experience, a ward where the Saints are one, is a strong ward with love, caring, and great spirituality.

Limhi and His People Escape to Zarahemla by Steven Lloyd Neal
The third lesson from these scriptures that stood out for me was that when people are obedient, when they humble themselves before the Lord and ask His help, He is always there. He always leads and guides His people. In Mosiah 21 we learn more about the people of Limhi. They were persecuted by the Lamanites. Three times the Lamanites defeated them in battle. Lamanite persecutions increased. In verse 14 we read: “And they did humble themselves even in the depths of humility; and they did cry mightily to God; yea, even all the day long did they cry unto their God that he would deliver them out of their afflictions.” It was only when they started to be humble and turn to the Lord that their burdens were eased and they started to prosper. The people were kept in bondage until the arrival of Ammon, when Limhi and many of his people desired to be baptised. They were prepared to serve the Lord with all their hearts. It was only at this point that their escape from the Lamanites was made possible. If we are obedient, the Lord will listen. He hears the earnest prayers of our hearts. I know this. I have experienced this many times in my life. I want to so live my life, that I deserve His love, His compassion, so that I can turn to Him with the righteous desires of my heart.




No comments:

Post a Comment