Sunday, June 12, 2016

Book of Mormon 18 - “God Himself … Shall Redeem His People”

I struggled a little with this lesson. I think it was the result of a combination of factors: firstly, the breadth of doctrine covered in this lesson; secondly, life circumstances including worry about children, exams, and end-of-semester responsibilities; and, thirdly, being very tired physically and emotionally.


After an intensely spiritual Sacrament meeting today, I feel ready to write. I sat through the Sacrament hymn in tears. I really wanted to sing but nothing would come out. The hymn #172, In Humility Our Saviour, has the most beautiful lyrics by Mabel Jones Gabbott. These include the following: “When thy heart was stilled and broken, on the cross at Calvary.” These words touched my spirit with such force. I saw the suffering of my elder brother, my Saviour, in Gethsemane, on the road to Calvary, and as He suffered on the cross.

(Left: Thy Will Be Done by Del Parson; right: It Is Finished by Liz Lemon Swindel)

Abinadi’s message to King Noah and his priests in Mosiah 14 and 15 deals with the very thing I sat contemplating during the passing of the Sacrament. In Mosiah 14, Abinadi quotes the words of Isaiah. These are so beautiful and poignant. In verse 3, he says: “He is despised and rejected of men, a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and we hid as it were our faces from him, he was despised, and we esteemed him not.” Later, in verse 7, “He was oppressed and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter.”

In Chapter 15 Abinadi speaks further about the Atonement and how the Lord will make intercession for the transgressions of His people. Here Christ is referred to as Father. Brother Bill Beardall provides a wonderful summary of the concept of deity and the word Father. He states that there are four separate and distinct significations in doctrinal exposition relating to the use of the term Father. These are: God the Father, our literal parent, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ and our eternal spirits; Jesus Christ, or Elohim, as the creator of this Earth, this universe, and, therefore, the Father of this world; Jesus Christ, the Father of those who strive in the gospel to gain an eternal reward; and, Jesus Christ, the Father by divine investiture of authority, representing His Father. In this chapter, Abinadi also discusses the doctrine of the resurrection. One scripture that struck me as I was listening to today’s speakers was Mosiah 15:28, which reads: “And now I say unto you that the time shall come that the salvation of the Lord shall be declared to every nation, kindred, tongue, and people.”

The speakers in Sacrament today focussed on missionary work. Two missionaries spoke, followed by two prospective missionaries, both Young Single Adults. One of these young men is the only active member in his family and spoke of the difficulties in sticking to the gospel and preparing for a mission with the temptations of the world all around. He said something that I felt was quite profound: “What we want is out there; what we need is right here.” One of the speakers quoted words from his favourite song (also mine) O Lord, my Redeemer by Jeff Goodrich. Once again, I felt the tears streaming down my face as I pictured the beautiful face of my Redeemer. The portraits below were on my mind:

(Left: Jesus Christ by Brent Borup; right: Jesus Christ Pencil by Liz Lemon Swindel)

I love my Saviour. I feel His love for me and this fills me with gratitude and humility. I once read a sweet blog that mirrored the way I feel about the Saviour. This 2015 blog called He Lives… Present Tense by Nikkita Ulloa is well worth reading.
“Oh Lord, my Redeemer,
Thou hast done so much for me!
Oh Lord, my Redeemer.
All my love I give to thee!”

No comments:

Post a Comment