Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Book of Mormon 2020 - Helaman 13-16

When I re-started my blog in January of this year, the first scriptures I covered were the scriptures found in Helaman 13 to 16. In a single post, I covered the remainder of the Book of Mormon. This is the first section of a very long post found at: https://gospeldoctrine2016.blogspot.com/2020/01/well-i-let-myself-down-quite.html

I admire Samuel the Lamanite. It could not have been easy speaking to the Nephites and calling them to repentance. In Helaman 13:2-3 we read, “they did cast him out, and he was about to return to his own land…the voice of the Lord came unto him, that he should return again, and prophesy unto the people whatsoever things should come into his heart.” This touched me deeply. Here was this amazing Lamanite prophet told to return to a city from which he had been rejected to speak the words the Lord would direct him to speak. I thought of the things I need to do that I don’t want to do. I feel ashamed that my willingness wavers. I am currently the primary caretaker for my mum’s end-of-life-care. I have never done anything harder in my life. I have prayed and prayed that the Lord would show compassion and mercy on my mum and allow her to go gently into the next world. Yet, day after day and week after week I watch her suffer. These verses helped me realise that the Lord has asked me to do something He knows I can do. If He has this faith in me, I must have faith that He will help me.

Helaman 13:4 records, “he cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart.” This scripture made me think of the importance of our living Prophet. When we hear the Prophet speak, we know the Lord has put that message in his heart. When the Prophet speaks to us at General Conference, we hear “the will of the Lord…the mind of the Lord… the word of the Lord…the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation” (D&C 68:4).

I love listening to the Prophet in General Conference. I found a little video with a wonderful reminder of some of the most recent words of the Lord from the April 2020 General Conference, direct from our Prophet Russell M. Nelson. This video is called, “PROMISES FROM A PROPHET: The last 6 promises made by Russell M. Nelson during General Conference”.

This little Knowhy video (Book of Mormon Central) is a wonderful reminder of what the Book of Mormon teaches us about prophets. This includes Samuel the Lamanite.

Samuel the Lamanite prophesied many things connected to the birth and death of Jesus Christ. Brother John Bytheway provided two charts (shown below) that summarise the signs listed by Samuel the Lamanite leading up to the birth and death of the Saviour. He added in the scriptures in 3 Nephi where the prophesied signs were fulfilled (Gospel Doctrine Prep).

Helaman 14:30-31 contains a powerful message. Although this was Samuel speaking to the Nephites, it is relevant for every person who goes through this mortal existence. It states, “And now remember, remember, my brethren, that whosoever perisheth, perisheth unto himself; and whosoever doeth iniquity, doeth it unto himself; for behold, ye are free; ye are permitted to act for yourselves; for behold, God hath given unto you a knowledge and he hath made you free…ye can do good and be restored unto that which is good, or have that which is good restored unto you; or ye can do evil, and have that which is evil restored unto you.” The choice is in our hands. We know that the consequences of our choices are determined by us. The Atonement of Jesus Christ invokes this agency. Without the Atonement, repentance and forgiveness would not be possible, therefore, we would not have that choice. As a parent, I know how hard it is to see my own adult children make wrong choices. I fear for the pain of the consequences that I know will follow.

I pondered for a while on the scripture found in Helaman 15:4. “But behold my brethren, the Lamanites hath he hated because their deeds have been evil continually, and this because of the iniquity of the tradition of their fathers. But behold, salvation hath come unto them through the preaching of the Nephites; and for this intent hath the Lord prolonged their days.” I understand that the Lord loved the Lamanites but hated their actions. Brother John Bytheway (Gospel Doctrine Prep) explained this distinction, “So perhaps it’s a “hate the sin, love the sinner” distinction.  When we read the whole sentence from Samuel, we see that they are “hated” because their “deeds have been evil continually.”  It was their choices that mattered.” A scripture that clarifies the meaning of ‘hate’ in Helaman 15:4 mentions the opposite ‘love’: “If you keep not my commandments, the love of the father shall not continue with you, therefore you shall walk in darkness” (D&C 95:12).

We know from Helaman 15 that the Lord indeed loved the Lamanites and rewarded them for their faithfulness. “And now, because of their steadfastness when they do believe in that thing which they do believe, for because of their firmness when they are once enlightened, behold, the Lord shall bless them and prolong their days, notwithstanding their iniquity.” As I thought about this scripture, I glanced at the monitor and watched my little mum asleep in the next room. The Lord will bless her. I know of no one who has been as faithful and steadfast as she has been. Through her pain and illness, I have spoken to her about how short a time we have in mortality and that her pain will end. I cannot imagine the Lord will let her suffer for much longer. 

We are so fortunate to have the guidance of a living prophet, President Russell M. Nelson. We also have the guidance of the General Authorities, our area, stake, and ward leaders. My wonderful Bishop and Stake President have called a ward fast for today for my mum. At the end of the fast, the Bishop and Stake President will be coming around to give mum a priesthood blessing. Right now, I feel confident that “God is at the helm”. This phrase comes from M. Russell Ballard's talk from October 2015 General Conference. This is explained in the little video below.

No comments:

Post a Comment