Monday, September 21, 2020

Book of Mormon 2020 - 3 Nephi 1-7

I wrote about 3 Nephi 1 to 7 in January of this year. This was part of a very long post finishing off the Book of Mormon chapters that I had not covered in 2016. This can be found at: https://gospeldoctrine2016.blogspot.com/2020/01/well-i-let-myself-down-quite.html. You need to scroll down to the second section of this post. When I wrote this section, I summarised the stories in these scriptures quite thoroughly.

The Nephi who is the centre of these scriptures was the son of Nephi and grandson of Helaman. The book of 3 Nephi is one of the holiest and most sacred parts of the entire Book of Mormon. Brother John Welch (2010, Journal of the Book of Mormon, 19:1) states, “everything in 3 Nephi…has been composed to echo and call to mind the solemnity of the presence of the Lord”. The following Knowhy video explains, “Why should 3 Nephi be read as the Book of the High Priest Nephi?”

Nephi was worried about the believers who were going to be put to death on the following day if the day and night and day without darkness, prophesied by Samuel the Lamanite, did not occur. Nephi poured out his heart to the Lord in prayer. In fact, he prayed all day. In 3 Nephi 1:12-13 we read, “And it came to pass that he cried mightily unto the Lord all that day; and behold, the voice of the Lord came unto him, saying: Lift up your head and be of good cheer; for behold, the time is at hand, and on this night shall the sign be given, and on the morrow come I into the world.” I can imagine the earnest nature of this prayer and the relief Nephi must have felt when his prayer was answered. I rely a lot on prayer. Prayer brings us close to God and allows the Spirit to touch us and guide us. I have a strong testimony of the power of prayer.

3 Nephi 1:13 is important to me on a personal level. In Don’t miss this in the Book of Mormon (Freeman & Butler, 2019), is the following statement regarding 3 Nephi 1:13. “Sometimes we watch steadfastly, we cry to the Lord throughout that day, we wait and we plan and we hope. We must remember that no matter how dark and troublesome that day may be, tomorrow will come. The 3 Nephi story is one of my favourites for this reason: sometimes we have to hold on to the truth that what we are desperately praying for today will eventually come to pass. In His own time and in His own way, He will send the answer we need on the morrow.” I have prayed so hard and for so long for my mum. I have watched her in pain for months, severe pain for the past month. I have seen her fade to less than a shadow of her former self, totally reliant on me as her caregiver. I prayed for mercy and compassion for her. Our Ward fasted for her and, through a Priesthood blessing, I was told to be patient, that things would happen in the Lord’s time. Today the hospice nurse suggested that mum had no more than a few more days. I feel that “the morrow” may now come soon. My patience has increased but so has my appreciation for the Lord’s time and how things will always happen in His time and not in mine.


Brother John Bytheway in his weekly podcast (OurTurtleHouse.com) asked a very interesting question. His question was based on 3 Nephi 1:13. He asked how it was possible for God to speak to Nephi when he was already in Mary’s womb. He suggested that God spoke through the Spirit. The prophesies of Samuel the Lamanite were all fulfilled. In 3 Nephi 1:15 it states, “for behold, at the going down of the sun there was no darkness; and the people began to be astonished because there was no darkness when the night came.” Imagine the grandeur of this sign! Many were astonished and believed the sign was a fulfilment of the prophecy, but others were hard-hearted and thought the sign was from Satan.

In a document called The coming of Christ to the Nephites: A pattern for His Second Coming, Brother Bill Beardall summarises all the scriptural references to events and signs that would precede Christ's coming to the Nephites. He describes each event/sign and then gives scriptural references to similar events/signs that will precede Christ’s Second Coming. (Just click on the title above for the link!)

I found 3 Nephi 5 very interesting. In this chapter, we hear from Mormon, who was abridging the plates of Nephi. In verses 12-13 we read, “I am called Mormon, being called after the land of Mormon, the land in which Alma did establish the church among the people…Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.” The following Knowhy video (Book of Mormon Central) answers the question, Why did Mormon introduce himself in 3 Nephi 5?

When you are first introduced to someone, you often start with telling them about the things that are most important to you. In a Māori pepeha (an introduction) it is common to state your mountain (maunga), river (awa), vessel (waka), area (rohe), tribe (iwi), sub-tribe (hapu), place (wahi), and your meeting-house (marae). How did Mormon introduce himself? He said he was a disciple of Jesus Christ! What a beautiful introduction. How did Mormon describe what a true disciple would do? He would pray on behalf of his people (3 Nephi 1:11). He would be a missionary (3 Nephi 5:13). He would be obedient and keep the commandments of God (3 Nephi 5:22; 6:14). He would be humble and endure affliction (3 Nephi 6:13). He would be penitent (3 Nephi 6:13). Strength in the Lord would give him the ability to serve with authority (3 Nephi 7:17). As he aligned his life with the Lord’s teachings, he would be filled with the Holy Ghost (3 Nephi 7:21). This is a clear framework for anyone who wants to be a disciple! Once again, I found where I was lacking. I need to remain positive and hopeful when faced with the affliction of myself or my loved ones. Elder D. Todd Christofferson (General Conference, October 2018) said, “It is challenging but vital to remain firm and steadfast when we find ourselves being refined 'in the furnace of affliction,' something that comes soon or late to all of us in mortality. Without God, these dark experiences tend to despondency, despair, and even bitterness. With God, comfort replaces pain, peace replaces turmoil, and hope replaces sorrow. Remaining firm in the faith of Christ will bring His sustaining grace and support."



Nephi, son of Nephi, was an example of a true disciple. I found a delightful video that speaks of Nephi as being similar to John the Baptist. This video is from Knowhy (Book of Mormon Central).

I loved the things I learned about Nephi, Mormon, and signs sent to strengthen our testimonies. I learned to appreciate the timing of the Lord. I also learned what it means to be a true disciple. I always look forward to reading the rest of the scriptures in 3 Nephi. These scriptures are full of the Saviour’s visit to the Nephites. I can imagine the joy of seeing the Saviour in his infinite grace. I wonder if I will still be around to witness the Lord’s Second Coming? What a truly magnificent thought!



















No comments:

Post a Comment