Sunday, March 27, 2016

Book of Mormon 11- “Press Forward with a Steadfastness in Christ”

Today’s Sunday School lesson followed on perfectly from a marvellous Sacrament meeting. Easter Sunday blessed us with a musical Sacrament meeting. The first song was sung by two Primary children with the sweetest voices and the sweetest spirits. Subsequent items were presented by the Priesthood, the Relief Society, combined brethren and sisters, and the Ward Choir. The postlude was three of our beautiful talented, Young Single Adults, one being my “other daughter” Mia. The spirit was so strong throughout the meeting. The theme was following the Saviour. The speakers included two prospective missionaries and the Bishop. What a feast!

The Sunday School lesson centred on Nephi’s teachings about the importance of feeding on the words of Christ, believing and following the doctrines of Christ, pressing forward, and enduring to the end. Jesus Christ is my elder brother, my Saviour, my Redeemer, and I owe him everything. I spent Sacrament filled with gratitude for His love and His forgiveness, and then studied the lesson with a passionate desire to learn more of His doctrine, to try to live a better life by following His example.

In 2 Nephi 31:20, we are told to:  “…press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life”. This is a message meant for me. I need to be steadfast, i.e. faithful, loyal, constant, firm in adherence to the gospel and the Saviour. I cannot pick which commandments I will obey, or when I will be obedient. If I am steadfast, it will be always, in every way.

Hope is one of the most important blessings the gospel brings to me. President Dieter Uchtdorf quoted 2 Nephi 31:20, and then followed it with these wise words:
This is the quality of hope we must cherish and develop. Such a mature hope comes in and through our Saviour Jesus Christ, for “every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as [the Savior] is pure” (1 John 3:3).
The Lord has given us a reassuring message of hope: “Fear not, little flock” (D&C 6:34)…
And to all who suffer—to all who feel discouraged, worried, or lonely—I say with love and deep concern for you, never give in.
Never surrender.
Never allow despair to overcome your spirit.
Embrace and rely upon the Hope of Israel, for the love of the Son of God pierces all darkness, softens all sorrow, and gladdens every heart (Oct. 2008, The infinite power of hope, Ensign).
If we love God and our fellow men, we will act on that love. If we love God, we will serve Him. If we love our fellow men, we will lose ourselves in service. I am a very fortunate person. I grew up surrounded by love. I, therefore, find it very easy to love other people. I love my job because I can serve. I need to do more, but I find this requirement easier than many others.

There are two last things I need to do. To feast on the words of Christ means I must do more of what I am doing here: read the scriptures, study the scriptures, and apply what I read. And, I must endure to the end. I do not want to simply endure; I want to improve as the time goes on.

I love the gospel, I love my Saviour. Now I must demonstrate that love in everything I do. As yet, I fall far short of this goal. But I will try.

No comments:

Post a Comment