Sunday, January 3, 2016

Book of Mormon 1: “The Keystone of Our Religion”

I spent some reflecting back on the first lesson from the Book of Mormon, “The Keystone of Our Religion”. Words from President Ezra Taft Benson will change the way I study the Book of Mormon this year. He reminded us that the prophets in the Book of Mormon testified that they wrote for future generations. President Benson suggested that while we read and study, we should ask ourselves, “Why did the Lord inspire Mormon (or Moroni or Alma) to include this in his record? What lesson can I learn to help me live in this day and age?” 

According to President Benson we will receive power to resist temptation, avoid deception, and stay on the straight and narrow path by seriously studying the Book of Mormon. I need this power in my life. President Marion G. Romney listed benefits of reading the Book of Mormon as families: an increase in spirituality, righteousness, faith, hope, and charity; more respect, consideration, reverence, love, and wisdom; and less contention and disobedience. Who could possibly resist seeking these blessings? I love the Book of Mormon!

This week I thought a lot about a time in my life when I learned for myself that the Book of Mormon was true. I was fortunate to be a Seminary student, when Seminary was still in its infancy in New Zealand. My teacher was Brother Ta Po'ona (if I remember correctly, Tauatuku Tetuera Po'ona), and the course of study was the Book of Mormon. This was the year when I discovered for myself the truthfulness of this sacred book of scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment