Thursday, August 27, 2020

Book of Mormon 2020 - Alma 53-63


I wrote about Alma 53 to 63 in 2016. I summarised a lot of the stories, particularly the story of the 2,000 Stripling Warriors – one of my favourite. If you would like to read this post, it is at: https://gospeldoctrine2016.blogspot.com/2016/10/book-of-mormon-33-sure-foundation.html


I am feeling sad and maudlin after reading through my own post from 2016. I spoke about mothers and my own mother. On August 16th, my mum was rushed to Middlemore Hospital by ambulance. She was in severe pain. When the doctors asked her to pick a pain level between one and ten, her answer was “100”! My mum has a very high pain threshold, so I knew she was experiencing excruciating pain. I could stay with her while she was in Emergency, but as the hospital is under Covid lock-down, I have been unable to see her in nine days! Tomorrow I have been asked to attend a meeting with the medical team at 10.00 a.m. at the hospital. I am scared about what will be discussed but, at least, I get to see my little, frail mum.

I paid tribute to my mum in my previous post, but I want to add that over the years she has become even more special to me. I have spent every evening with her for years now, and I have missed this so much over the past nine days. For the past year, mum’s health has been failing and her short-term memory is now very bad. Well, I expect that is understandable considering she is 96 years old. I pray for her all the time. I know her wish is to move on to the next life and leave the pain behind. I know that, right now, I cannot imagine my life without her.

I wish I could be as good a person as my mum. I have not been the sort of mother that raises Stripling Warriors! I love my children dearly and I would do anything for them. They have all grown into fine young people. I am very proud of them. It does sadden me that only one out of six is active in the church. This is one reason I esteem my mother. She would have done better than I have done. This is also one of the main reasons I am in awe of the mothers of the Stripling Warriors. In Alma 56:47 it reads, “they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them”. Then, in verse 48 it states, “they rehearsed unto me the words of their mothers, saying: We do not doubt our mothers knew it”. What amazing faith and courage was instilled in these young men by their mother.
President Spencer W. Kimball said, "To be a righteous woman during the winding-up scenes on this earth, before the Second Coming of our Saviour, is an especially noble calling. The righteous woman's strength and influence today can be tenfold what it might be in more tranquil times. She has been placed here to help to enrich, to protect, and to guard the home—which is society's basic and most noble institution. Other institutions in society may falter and even fail, but the righteous woman can help to save the home, which may be the last and only sanctuary some mortals know in the midst of storm and strife" (Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball,  p. 326). I will always be grateful for my mother. I love her, I respect her, and I honour her. I also love her with all my heart. I pray that the Lord will look on her now with mercy and compassion and help her through this dreadful time.
Brother John Bytheway gave each of these war chapters a title, capturing the spiritual message he discovered. These were the titles he suggested:
·         Alma 53: Knowing what is true, being true to what you know

·         Alma 54: Fear God more than armies
·         Alma 55: Be cautious that no poison is administered among you
·         Alma 56: The righteous need not fear death
·         Alma 57: Some were about to give way, some were firm and undaunted
·         Alma 58: God will visit the faithful with assurances
·         Alma 59:  Better to prepare and prevent than repair and repent
·         Alma 60: Cleanse the inner vessel
·         Alma 61: God has not commanded us to be subject to our enemies
·         Alma 62: Respond to afflictions with faith
These are great spiritual messages. The ones that I focussed on this time were Alma 57, 59, 60, and 62.


In Alma 57:6 we learn that the 2,000 Stripling Warriors were joined by 60 more. In Alma 57:6 Helaman recalls, “at the beginning of the twenty-ninth year, we received a supply of provisions…in addition to sixty of the sons of the Ammonites who had come to join…my little company of two thousand”. I had not really paid attention to this scripture until I read Don’t miss this in the Book of Mormon (Freeman & Butler, 2019). They told the following story:

The boy was three years old when he wandered away in the west desert of Utah and got lost. He was missing for days. Search parties were assembled. The army was called. Search and Rescue came with their dogs. All through the day they searched to no avail. In our neighbourhood, a huge group gathered to drive down to the desert and help. They left in the afternoon. One man was late getting home from work. He missed the ride with all the others. He decided not to go. But his wife had packed his dinner, and she had the car ready and waiting when he pulled in. So, he went, even though he was late. When he arrived at the scene, everyone had already gone out searching. There was no one there to give directions, so he knelt and prayed, and then he went where the Spirit directed. There were thousands searching the desert that day. But the man who found the three -year-old boy was the one who almost didn’t go—the one who showed up late.
There is no explanation in the Book of Mormon why the 60 Ammonite boys joined the army late, but they did, and they provided much needed support for the original 2,000 Stripling Warriors. Freeman and Butler (2019) suggest that when someone needs our help showing up is sometimes more important than showing up on time. So, do not hesitate to show up just because you are running late. Reach your destination with your strength and faith in God and allow miracles to happen! 😊

In Alma 57:20-21 we read more about the 2,060 Stripling Warriors. We read, “And while the rest of our army was about to yield to the Lamanites, behold, these two thousand and sixty stood firm and undaunted…they obeyed and tried to carry out exactly every order; yes, and it was done to them according to their faith”. The following Knowhy video (Book of Mormon Central) comments on the ‘exactness’ in which the Stripling Warriors performed their duties.
Moroni assumed that reinforcements would be sent to the city of Nefiah to defend the people there, and he was angry when these reinforcements did not arrive, and the Lamanites successfully occupied the city. He had made a valid assumption, “knowing that it was easier to prevent the city from falling into the hands of the Lamanites than to take it back” (Alma 59:9). I included the following quote in my last blog post, but I will include it here as well because it is so apt. President Ezra Taft Beson said, “It is better to prepare and prevent than to repair and repent”. This is exactly what Moroni was thinking in Alma 59:9. I am so grateful for the Atonement and the power of repentance, but it feels so comforting when there are small and simple principles we have no trouble obeying and we do not need repentance in these areas. Freeman and Butler (2019) make another wonderful comment based on this scripture, “When someone is struggling, when there is a chance of falling, perhaps we could provide the increase of support in the beginning, to keep them, so we don’t have to…rescue them”.
In Alma 60 Moroni sends a harsh letter to the chief judge Pahoran. He accuses the Nephite government of neglect and even treason. In reply, in Alma 61, Pahoran sends a reply that is meek and kind. Pahoran states that he is not angry, but “[rejoiced] in the greatness of [Moroni’s] heart” (Alma 61:9). Pahoran set a powerful example of how to not take offense. Elder David A. Bednar (General Conference, Oct 2009) stated, "You and I cannot control the intentions or behaviour of other people. However, we do determine how we will act. Please remember that you and I are agents endowed with moral agency, and we can choose not to be offended…One of the greatest indicators of our own spiritual maturity is revealed in how we respond to the weaknesses, the inexperience, and the potentially offensive actions of others. A thing, an event, or an expression may be offensive, but you and I can choose not to be offended—and to say with Pahoran, 'it mattereth not'." 

The leadership of Pahoran is examined in the following Knowhy video (Book of Mormon Central).
One scripture that truly touched my heart is found in Alma 62:41. It reads, “But behold, because of the exceedingly great length of the war between the Nephites and the Lamanites many had become hardened, because of the exceedingly great length of the war; and many were softened because of their afflictions, insomuch that they did humble themselves before God, even in the depth of humility”. We are in the middle of a pandemic, Covid 19. Amid this pandemic I am out of work and my mother is in hospital. How should I respond? I need to pray for a soft heart and faith in the Lord. Brother John Bytheway (Gospel Doctrine Prep, Alma 43-62) stated, “We can use our God-given agency to choose how we will respond to our afflictions and problems”. President Uchtdorf summed this up perfectly when he stated, “first doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith.”


No comments:

Post a Comment