Friday, July 24, 2020

Book of Mormon 2020 - Alma 23-29


My original post on these scriptures was written in 2016. This can be accessed at: https://gospeldoctrine2016.blogspot.com/2016/08/book-of-mormon-26-converted-unto-lord.html. This post was written from the heart. I mention several things that are important to me: firstly, the amazing way people can be prepared to receive the truth. This was demonstrated by wonderful stories from the work of Elder Dale LeBaron for the Department of International Studies at Brigham Young University. Elder LeBaron was a friend of my parents in Johannesburg, South Africa. He was loved and respected by our family. Elder LeBaron interviewed converts in Ghana, Nigeria, Zaire, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Ciskei, Transkei, Swaziland, and the Mauritius and RĂ©union Islands. Many of these personal experiences were included in Gospel pioneers in Africa (Ensign, Aug, 1990), and also in the Living Scriptures Church History Docudrama called A Legacy of Faith. Secondly, I wrote about the baptism of my father. And, thirdly, I wrote about depression and how the light of the gospel can help with depression.
Elder L. Dale LeBaron with Saints in Africa

Conversion changes lives. I saw this with my father. I have seen it in many people I love dearly who accepted the gospel or returned to the gospel. If you would like to read an amazing story of change and conversion, there is a book by Mario Facione called Mafia to Mormon: My conversion story (2004). Mario’s story is also available on DVD. My path was a little different. I have never had a time where I can say I did not believe the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was true. My mother was a pioneer in the church in Zambia, Central Africa, and the first meetings were with mum and the two missionaries. Later, a friend of my mother’s joined the church and there were four people in attendance at meetings! By the time I came along, there were approximately 24 members and we used to meet in an office block in the centre of Kitwe, Zambia (then Northern Rhodesia). I paid tithing for the first time when I was two years old. I knew the power of prayer by the time I was four years old. I held my first ward calling when I was eight years of age and my first stake calling when I was 12 years of age. Perhaps when I was very little I relied, in part, on the testimony of my mother. I remember clearly an incident that occurred when I was a Seminary student and our class had a marathon session reading the Book of Mormon aloud. I remember my reading and feeling the power of conversion. At that point, I knew that my testimony was MINE. I was so full of light and joy.

The Anti-Nephi-Lehis made dramatic changes in their lives due to their conversion. In Alma 23:6 it records, “as many of the Lamanites as believed in their preaching, and were converted unto the Lord, never did fall away”. This is impressive! Imagine a large group where no single person falls away! Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could say this about all our converts? 

I wondered about the name these converted Lamanites selected. To me the prefix anti- always means someone opposed to something. In this case it does not mean they were against, but that they were ever with Nephi and Lehi and their teachings. Brother Daniel Ludlow stated, “the term 'Anti-Nephi-Lehis' might refer to those who imitate the teachings of the descendants of Nephi and Lehi” (A companion to your study of the Book of Mormon, 1976, p. 210) This is explained in the Knowhy video (Book of Mormon Central) below. 
The Anti-Nephi-Lehis sought refuge with the Nephites. The Lamanites, stirred to anger by the Amalekites and by the Amulonites who were apostate Nephites, gathered to attack the people of God. In Alma 24:17 we read, “and all the people were assembled together, they took their swords, and all the weapons which were used for the shedding of man’s blood, and they did bury them up deep in the earth” and, in verse 19 that they, “would suffer even unto death rather than commit sin; and thus we see that they buried their weapons of peace, or they buried the weapons of war, for peace”.
Over a thousand died when they refused to fight against their brethren, the unconverted Lamanites. Many of the Lamanites could not go on killing and joined the Anti-Nephi-Lehis. In fact, “the people of God were joined that day by more than the number who had been slain” (Alma 24:26). President L. Tom Perry stated, “It was the Anti-Nephi-Lehis’ unique history that caused them to make a unique covenant with the Lord that they felt an obligation to honour. When they honoured their covenant they were blessed, and their brethren, the Lamanites, were also blessed.  While the message of the story is not to insist on universal pacifism, we do learn that by not returning aggressions from others we can have a profound effect on them. Literally, we can change their hearts when we follow Christ’s example and turn the other cheek. Our examples as peaceable followers of Christ inspire others to follow him. (Living with enthusiasm, 1996, p. 128.) The following Knowhy video (Book of Mormon Central) deals with the importance of the Anti-Nephi-Lehi’s covenant and the need to keep our covenants today.
I read a quote from President Spencer W. Kimball that said, “I remember that, without being pressured by anyone, I made up my mind while still a little boy that I would never break the Word of Wisdom…Having made up my mind fully and unequivocally, I found it not too difficult to keep the promise to myself and to my Heavenly Father” (Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, 2006, p. 205). This was my experience too. I can say, with all honesty, that I have never smoked a cigarette, never taken an illegal drug, never drank a cup of coffee or tea, and never had a single sip of alcohol in my 63 years on earth. I made up mind when I was a child and I never wavered. There are many who struggle. My father joined the church after being a whisky drinker and a heavy smoker for years. He took the path of the Anti-Nephi-Lehis. He figuratively buried these temptations in the ground and never looked back. 
In Alma 26 we find the Psalm of Ammon and in Alma 29 we find the Psalm of Alma. In Alma 26:3-4 we read Ammon’s words, “but behold, how many of them are brought to behold the marvelous light of God! And this is the blessing which hath been bestowed upon us, that we have been made instruments in the hands of God to bring about this great work…thousands of them do rejoice, and have been brought into the fold of God”. In verse 10, Aaron rebukes his brother for boasting, but Ammon replies, “I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God…I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things”. This is such a joyous yet humble declaration.

Young missionaries may feel deflated when they are not able to baptise a great number of people. Elder Dallin H. Oaks, in a talk at the October 2003 General Conference called Timing addresses this issue. He counsels missionaries to set their goals according to what they can do – their activities controlled by their agencies. No missionary can control the activities and agencies of other people. The full talk can be seen below. This principle should always guide our goal setting. There is no point in setting a goal that all your students will graduate. Your goal should be that you will teach your best and encourage as many students as possible to reach their potential. Whether the students graduate will be determined by their own activities and free agencies.
In Alma’s Psalm he proclaims,” O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!...I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption” (Alma 29:1-2). He sees himself as a sinner for not being content with the role the Lord has given him. “Why should I desire that I were an angel, that I could speak unto all the ends of the earth?” (Alma 29:7). In verse 10 he continues, “when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember what the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer”. Alma’s sin is indeed a tiny sin! He rejoices in the missionary success of his brethren. As we work towards bringing souls to the gospel, we are rewarded for our efforts. The quotes below from Elder Bruce R. McConkie and President Spencer W. Kimball testify of this truth.
The two psalms are uplifting and inspiring. The opening words of Alma’s Psalm are the words that inspired the beautiful song below. May it provide peace and upliftment to you as it does to me.









No comments:

Post a Comment