Monday, September 19, 2016

Book of Mormon 28 - “The Word Is in Christ unto Salvation”


The scriptures in this lesson apply to my life over the last few weeks. I have had little opportunity to blog. I have also been really sick for more than four weeks. I had my daughter and her two little ones visiting me from Upper Hutt. I also have my three university students, who live at home, on holiday so at home a lot. Everyone picked up flu and this horrendous cough that never seems to go away. Even now, as I type, I am coughing and so is my youngest daughter!

In Alma 32:12 we read: “…it is well that ye are cast out of your synagogues, that ye may be humble, and that ye may learn wisdom…ye are brought to a lowliness of heart; for ye are necessarily brought to be humble.” Sickness, rather than poverty, has helped me rely a lot on the Lord just to cope with work and family, to maintain my day-to-day responsibilities. I know without His help, I would have given up in despair.

In Alma 32 we read the wonderful words of Alma to the poor Zoramites, kicked out of the synagogues and rejected for their poverty. There is so much in these scriptures. Alma speaks about the poor in heart, the adversity of poverty, humility, and faith. I have often thought about being rich vs being poor. The key is to always be willing to give! Even the poor Zoramites were told that after they prayed, they were to give to the poor and needy! “What a stunning reminder that rich or poor, we are to “do what we can” when others are in need” (Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, Are we not all beggars? Oct. 2014 General Conference). A perfect example is our prophet, President Thomas S. Monson. Elder Holland recalled, “…the image of him I will cherish until I die is of him flying home from then-economically devastated East Germany in his house slippers because he had given away not only his second suit and his extra shirts but the very shoes from off his feet.” I have often thought how pleasant it would be to have the means to give to those in need! I have always enjoyed giving more than receiving. This is a principle that was demonstrated to me by my parents as I was growing up.

President Thomas S. Monson

The lecture on faith, given by Alma, is striking and clear. One of the most well-known scriptures from Alma is Alma 32:21, “And now as I said concerning faith - faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true.” I love the words of Elder Neil L. Andersen on faith. He said, “Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is not something ethereal, floating loosely in the air. Faith does not fall upon us by chance or stay with us by birthright… Faith emits a spiritual light and that light is discernible…Faith is a principle of power, important not only in this life but also in our progression beyond the veil. By the grace of Christ, we will one day be saved through faith on His name. The future of your faith is not by chance, but by choice” (Faith is not by chance, but by choice, Oct. 2015 General Conference). 


Alma talks about the seeds of the word of God. These seeds need to be planted in our hearts. We need to allow the seed to germinate and grow through the Spirit. The patience we have as we wait for the seed to grow, is our faith. 


President Spencer W. Kimball stated, “The exercise of faith is a willingness to accept without total regular proof and to move forward and perform works… A real faith pushes one forward to constructive and beneficial acts as though he knew in absoluteness” (Teachings of President Spencer W. Kimball, Chapter 13). We plant the seed by desiring to believe, but then we must nourish the seed through our actions (Alma 32:37-38). We need to be reading and studying the Book of Mormon, praying with a sincere heart and real intent, and serving the Lord, our families, and our neighbours.


In Alma 34 we receive wonderful information about the Atonement, we are told to pray always, and then a warning from Amulek that certainly led me to deep introspection. Amulek warns us not to procrastinate the day of our repentance. In Alma 34:33 it reads, “I beseech of you that ye do not procrastinate the day of your repentance unto the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed.”

I found a lot of information that helped me understand this scripture further. This information came from Keep the commandments – beginning right now! By Elder M. Russell Ballard, a BYU speech from September 1987. Elder Ballard quoted his grandfather’s words, i.e. the words of Elder Melvin J. Ballard. He suggested that a man or woman would be able to conform more to the laws of God in one year in this life, than in ten years in the hereafter. The spirit and body united are able to overcome sin and repent much more readily than having the spirit alone repent and change, and then battle with the flesh afterwards. Also, every desire and every feeling will be greatly intensified after this mortal life. “This is the time when men are more pliable and susceptible…When clay is pliable it is much easier to change than when it gets hard and sets…This life is the time to repent. That is why I presume it will take a thousand years…to do what it would have taken three score years and ten to accomplish in this life.”

This has left me with a strong desire to repent. I would far rather battle my weaknesses here and seek the Lord’s mercy, then have a far greater, more painful and long-lasting battle in the next life. The Atonement is such an incredible gift. It means the Lord loves me. How could I not want to show my gratitude by doing what I can right now? I cannot procrastinate or make excuses! 








No comments:

Post a Comment